Monday, February 8, 2010

Circus bikes, eviction notices, and perfect redemption....

What is the weirdest thing in the shop is a question I get a lot.  I have an Ivory walrus, and a boars tusk on a silver claddah, even a Frank Frazzeta lithograph but.....

Today one of our fair customers called me and asked if we would give $20 on a circus bike.  So, I ask "what are you talking about?".  Seems he had one of those tiny bikes that clown ride on and his kids ride it.  I told him to bring it in and within 20 minutes sitting on my counter was the smallest bike you could ever imagine.  He asks for 25 of course I tell him that if he rides it I'll give him $25, no go.  So he gets his $20 and is on his way...

Then yesterday I had a customer come in that is really on his last bit of any luck and brings in a kitchen-aid mixer, a big one.  He wants $60 but I don't want it so I offer him $20 hoping he says no.  Then in dramatic fashion he whips out an eviction notice and point to the 2 women that came with him.  His mother and daughter look down and he tells me that he needs $60 to move them.  Mom starts crying and the daughter is deaf and looks like she is going to join Mom....  If anyone ever tells you that pawnbrokers are heartless I'm living proof to the contrary.  I now have a mixer that I can't sell probably, hope my wife likes it....

In our business you hope that every loan comes back to pick up thier pledge but that never happens.  Eventually some of them default.  Becasue we are less than 60 days old we haven't had anyone default but we have over 60 loans at this point and today we had 4 of them come in and redeem, we literally have zero late loans at this point.  The merchandise that is on the shelves is all purchased off the street no bad loans yet...........maybe I can be the first pawnbroker ever that has no defaults I'll keep you in the loop...

The door hanger ads go out tomorrow flyer Mike says he will get all 2500 out in the morning woohoo.  Until then have a gander of Thunder and me in front of the store if anyone wants more of the car or less of me let me know.

Tim

Posted via email from Bigtimspawn's posterous

No comments: