Thursday, March 25, 2010

I've got the face for radio.....

OK, so there are very few people that what they think of me really matters.  My wife, children and my parents a few friends, that's really just about it.   That little bit about me will explain my latest venture.

In almost any poll about what people fear the most, public speaking, is frequently the top result.  Even more than death. Something else about me is that I have never had any aspiration to be famous or a public figure.  So this latest idea is out of nature for me.  To better understand this story though I have to take you back about 7 years. 

I have a friend who owns a business in Largo called the Watch Studio.  Ken Duval is a great guy and I was his daughters Track coach at the school that our children go to.  Ken is the local goto guy for high end watches.  Patek, Vacheron, Chronoswiss, real watches.  Because of our love of all things mechanical, and horolistic we became fast friends. 

One day at his store I met a guy by the name Al Leo.  Mr. Leo owned/managed the local Buick, Saab, GM dealership.  Huge dealership, 25 acres on US 19 in Pinellas Park.  Al was a collector of watches but only because he could afford them.  Not because he had a keen grasp of fine watches.  While I was there I got into a discussion about the pros/cons of handmade watch movements and my general love of complicated Valjoux products. 

While we were talking I mentioned to Al that I frequently listened to his Saturday morning radio show about his car dealership.  This was a two hour show and it covered everything related to cars.  During the show I noted Al never really seemed like he was selling or promoting his dealership.  I mentioned that to Al and he gave me some of the best business insight I have ever heard.

Al went on to tell me that before the radio show his monthly advertising budget was over 40,000.00 per month.  Once the show started it eventually went to ZERO, nothing, nada.  In the car business advertising and it's effectiveness is literally life or death.  He said that the by just talking to people and telling them how to get the best deal on a new vehicle he got to disarm people  and their fear of buying a car.  Just a simple show, Al would appraise their car and give them a price of a new car on the phone.  Half the show was retirees calling in to tell everyone what  great experience buying from Al was.  People would call from all over Florida to trade with Al.  It was the 3rd largest dealership in Florida and the largest volume Saab dealership in the US.  I convinced myself that if I ever had a business that needed direct consumer contact I would get my own radio show. 

Yes readers a Pawn Shop Talk Radio show.

So how do you get a radio show?  You ask.  Simple huh?  I recorded two test shows. Then I sent them to WWBA 820AM in Tampa along with a short email asking for some guidance how to eventually have my own show.  Surprisingly the next day I got a call from the station asking to meet.  The story from them was the station owner has a Palm Beach station that has a 3 hour swap meet show, like Craigslist for radio.  Now they are ready to try it in the Tampa area.  That and with all the success of Pawn Stars on cable TV's History channel  they thought it was worth a shot.  So, starting in about a month on Sundays 7pm yours truly will have a 1 hour talk show about all things Pawn.

I hope it does well but like most things I try it has the potential to flame out horrifically.  The plan is to give listeners and those that call some insight to Pawn Shops.  Hopefully we have some callers and we can talk about their stuff and what it is worth.  The station is heard from south Georgia to Miami.  Same idea as Al's show, no gigantic promotion of the Pawn Shop just a way to go to the shop without having to leave the house.  Hopefully they will see that it isn't a creepy place full of criminals.

Those close to me know that I am blue green color blind.  Not really a big deal but it is something to blame for my "unique" fashion sense.  Whenever people, especially children learn that I am color blind we play a game I call, "what color is this".  It's a fun time and it generally goes like this.  I can tell people or they find out about my lack of color vision and I get an hour of, "what color is this, what color is that?". 

I tell you this because I am a student of human nature.  I like trying to analyze why people do things and apply the observations to understand what people will do next.  I know when the game starts it's just curiosity because most people could never understand not being able to see them.  Trust me I have been on a color intensifier at the doctors office you should really appreciate color vision. 

What this has to do with a radio show is that when people find out I have a Pawn Shop it is the same reaction.  I get an hour of, "what is the strangest thing in the shop?, are the people weird?, how much is ______ worth? 

People are curious animals, not quite enough to go into a Pawn Shop sometimes though.  The National Pawnbrokers Association says that only 3 out of 10 people have ever been in a Pawn Shop.  So I am going to take the shop to them.  The merchandise, people and stories.  Every Sunday 7pm 820AM radio.  Maybe the show is interesting, maybe not.  All I know is that I'm not going to wake up 40 years form now too old and tired and wish that I had tried it.  I hope you'll listen, and even call.  Maybe we both learn something.

Posted via email from Big Tims Pawn's posterous

No comments: