Saturday, April 3, 2010

old ladies, bass guitars, and free sweet tea.

Ok sometimes I'm not the most friendly guy.  I'm quiet and I'm 6'4" 270lbs to boot.  Not what you call approachable, especially in the morning. 

This morning before opening the store I go into the McDonald's next door and get some morning coffee.  I'm in line behind a nice little old lady (NLOL)  and her walrus/daughter. I notice that they are looking at the menu like they have never been to a McDonald's before. Great.....  No biggie, I'm early and I have nothing to do for a hour.

So NLOL finally makes her life or death choice for the day and pulls out her coin purse and proceeds to dump everything out of it onto the floor.  I mean everything......she had civil war coins in there.  Of course everyone else including her 400lb daughter act like they didn't hear the 4000 coins. It sounded like a Vegas jackpot hit the floor. 

Now contrary to my overall look and demeanor I really like old people.  I especially like the ones that have cool stories about their life experiences.  I have crazy old Aunts and my wife's family has some real characters still kicking.  So I do the normal human thing and help her pick up her loot.  All the while the daughter maintains her stunning concentration of the job at hand, getting her big breakfast ordered before 10:30.  If she couldn't get her flapjack on, things might get ugly.

I really didn't think much of it....you will notice this pattern if you continue to read these posts.

About an hour later a guy walks into the store looks around, looks around, buys a bass guitar, smiles and leaves.  No haggling, or bitching about scratches that the Hubble telescope couldn't see.  Pays, smiles and hauls.  My kinda guy.  Again per my usual M.O. I think no further...

We had a good day not great.  Wrote some loans, sold some junk, pawnbroker paradise.

So, I close up shop around 2pm and go back to McDonald's one more time for some sweet tea. Now I think that McDonald's sweet tea has crack in it.  You can't convince me it doesn't.  Until I see a spectrographic report on it, I think it's spiked.  It is one of the best thing for one dollar, the only things that are a better value are:

  1. my opinion (free and good)
  2. a first class US postal stamp (nearly free, really good)

To my surprise the guy behind the counter, is the bass buyer and he is the manager of the store.  He thanks me once again for the bass, then shares with me some interesting info. 

Seems that everyone at McDonald's was very concerned with a pawn shop moving in next door.  Everyone was convinced that it would be the death knell of the neighborhood.  But to his surprise he has had 2 or 3 people now that have said very positive things about the pawn shop.  He told me of his stereotypical view of pawn shops (bad, all bad) and that he had no desire to go into one. 

When I asked why he did he said, "when I saw you help that little old lady this morning I decided to give you a shot".

Moral: You never know who is watching you in life, it pays to be nice, and sometimes you get free sweet tea.

Tim

Posted via email from Big Tims Pawn's posterous

No comments: