Sunday, January 24, 2010

old silver, french guns and new stories...

Another week in the books and I can see some progress.  We went like 3 days without having to go to the bank for cash.  Had our first multiple thousand dollar sales day and had days when we made more than we spent.  For those of you in any other business than a pawn shop this might seem silly to you, but you can go through a lot of cash buying and loaning without selling things. 

Had some interesting customers come through the shop also two of them notable for different reasons. 

The first up are a really nice couple from NC that came in to look at handguns spent a few minutes walking around looking before I got to them.  They were looking for something smaller than their Ruger .44 Redhawk I showed them a few things and talked with them briefly about some other items they might look to get rid of, nothing exciting.  I did give them an education about selling gold and they seemed very happy with the info.  I suspected they had a large quantity of gold sitting around somewhere.  Helping someone always comes back to help me in my experience and this time was no exception.

The next day they come back with a huge tupperware container full of old Schofield silverware, a full 8 place setting, over 200 troy ounces.  And though they were counting on selling right then, I found some interesting pieces that I wanted to further research.  I asked for more time and they graciously left the full setting behind.  I find this amazing because this set is worth at least $3000.00 just in silver, it does feels good when people trust you .

The other interesting story we had this week was another guy looking at the guns brought in a very old shotgun.  He was looking to sell it and was determined to get $500.  With very little info from him and even less information on the gun itself I was off to the internet to find the value of this weapon. 

After much research I discovered that the shotgun was a 1873 French Military shotgun. Original barrel band , trigger in great condition, barrel was thin but in all a cool weapon.  I was able to find the information fast and even show the customer a very accurate picture of the gun wi the description along with the current valuation of around $350.  With this in hand he kind of gave up on the sale of the weapon and thanked me.   Did your pawn hero stop at that though?  No, fair readers, I offered him $300 trade in and he promptly bought a Taurus Judge and left a happy gun owner. 

For a born trader like me there is no other occupation I can't wait for Monday, how about you?

Posted via email from Bigtimspawn's posterous

No comments: